Best Bathtubs 2019 with Buying Guide
Just like any other part of your house, your bathroom can also be your style statement. It might sound odd, but it doesn’t have to be all about functionality and sufficing your necessities. If you broaden your creative horizon, you can conveniently refurbish your bathroom in a spectacle.
You will be surprised to know how convenient it is to change the look of your ordinary bathroom to something elegant or stylish. Wallpapers, dressers, vanities, decorations and several other additions can elevate the overall look of your house.
Stylish yet functional bathtubs and shower tubs are among those many additions that can help make your bathrooms look more appealing. A nice warm bath in a relaxing environment after a tiring day can brighten your mood. Furthermore, a quick shower taken in haste doesn’t have to be void of comfort and style.
If designed right, shower tubs, and bathtubs can become the center of attraction in your bathroom. To make this possible, you need to know everything there is to know about buying a stylish and operational bathtub.
We have tailored a few buying guidelines for you that are guaranteed to highlight the surrounding interior of your bathroom and hog the attention of the beholder.
Top 3 Recommendations for Bathtubs
Top 10 Recommendations
We have compiled this list of top bathtub recommendations for you after following our buying guide. Each of these bathtubs is reviewed and rated positively by their users and offer style together with highly praised functionality.
Scroll down to read through the list for our top picks.
- Convenient Design:
The most common problem that you’ll face while using a bathtub is its drainage. Inefficient drain system can block the water seepage that can lead to water spills on your bathroom’s floor. Both these problems are interlinked to one another and can interfere with your bath time.
Vanity has designed this bathtub in such a way that it takes care of the drain system along with the overflowing problem. It has an adjustable drain hose that ensures proper water drain and a slotted drain in the tub’s design that takes care of water overflow.
- The Material of Construction:
Vanity has used acrylic in constructing this bathtub, and you might have an idea of how favorably acrylic is viewed among the masses. It uses pure acrylic to build the tub’s overlay while the rest is fiberglass. The finished look of this tub is sleek, smooth, lustrous that screams luxury and style even though its exterior is pure.
Moreover, acrylic ensures that the original temperature of the water is retained for a long time. It eliminates the necessity of purchasing accessories that can maintain the warm temperature of the water.
- Stability on All Surfaces:
Freestanding bathtubs are already famous for their simple design and assembly, and Vanity’s freestanding bathtub of 59 inches is no exception. You just need to connect the tub’s hose to the bathroom’s drain, and the container is ready to use.
Not just that, its foot can be adjusted to stay stable on any surface without tilting over to one side and spilling water when you bath.
- UPC certification
- Easy to assemble
- The adjustability of tub foot for stabilization
- Luxury design
- Comfortable & durable
- Flexible draining options
- Slotted drain for overflow
- Not suitable for small bathrooms
- It can accommodate only one person at a time.
- Unique Design:
Pelham & White didn’t follow the standard sizes or designs used by many manufacturers around the world. They attempted to stand out with their own uniquely designed pedestal bathtubs.
These are called as such because the bottom part of the tub is shaped like a flat pedestal and lays flat on your bathroom’s floor. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a bolt in with nuts and screws to a surface to stay put as it is designed to hold to a surface without screws too.
- Durable Construction:
This deep and luxurious bathtub is created by an acrylicast material that is durable and can hold on its own for years. This material has initially been an acrylic which is further reinforced with a strengthened and complex fiberglass material that ensures the retention of warmth of water.
The addition of Enduraclean in the mix used for the construction of this material makes the body of the tub anti-porous and easy to clean.
Apart from being durable and a luxury bathtub, it is convenient to clean with a simple drain design and is scratch and stain-resistant with a dent-proof construction.
- Durable and stable
- Impressive soaking depth
- 85 gallons of water capacity
- Manufactures in an ISO9001 approved facility
- No mention of warranty
- Not suitable for small bathrooms
- You need to buy a new and compatible faucet with it to complete the set.
- Top-Quality Construction:
Bath Master has constructed this bathtub from a LUCITE acrylic that used medium density fireboard together with resin and fiberglass in its mix. The durability that this combination of material offers is exceptional, and it makes the tub’s design anti-leak and anti-sliding.
Furthermore, its walls are doubled, which means that it offers better isolation and can keep the water inside the tub warm for quite a while. It has enough depth to hold 52 gallons of water and soak the entirety of an average human body.
- A Complete Package:
Bath Master’s freestanding bathtub is the epitome of modern art and convenience. It caters to your every need, from being easy to install and being convenient for its users to cater to your creative needs.
- CUPC certifications
- 1-year warranty for structural parts
- 5-year warranty for the tub’s surface
- Anti-leak construction
- Adjustable to different floor drains
- Flexible waste hose
- Anti-sliding structure
- Easy to install
- Installation manual might be confusing for some people
- Not suitable for luxury bathrooms
- Highly Praised Construction:
Just like most manufacturers, FerdY’s choice of material to construct their latest bathtub is acrylic reinforced with fiberglass. This combination offers high durability that guarantees that the frame of the bathtub doesn’t crack under pressure and doesn’t wither away by being exposed to cleansing chemicals and toxins.
Its glossy design is aesthetically pleasing and can withstand seasons after seasons without showing any signs of aging.
- Designed to Perfection:
Aside from the entirely ergonomic design, this tub offers admirable convenience to its users. For instance, it has an adjustable standing foot that gives you the freedom to decide on the place where you want to stabilize your bathtub.
FredY have used reinforced polyethylene resin to fashion the back of the bathtub for a comfortable lay against it. Furthermore, steel brackets used at the bottom of its frame ensure that its installation is secured on your bathroom’s floor.
FredY prides itself to be part of cUPC approved products as they promote the importance of efficient customer service with a renowned rigor.
- Non-toxic usage of materials in construction
- Built to last
- Acrylic material is non-cracking
- Two types of drainpipes
- Anti-sliding & anti-leakage
- Convenient installation
- Overflow drain feature malfunctions
- Water seepages to other parts of your house
- Inefficient customer service
- Stylish Clawfoot Bathtub:
If you are looking for something artistic and elegant for your luxurious bathroom, then MYKEE Gibson bathtub should be your preferred choice. It is designed as per the shape of a slipper claw with chrome trim and finishing at its foot.
The overall design keeps in mind the ease and comfort of their customers, which is why its back is fashioned as a slope. This slope aligns with the arch of the user’s back and works on the right pressure points in your body.
- Luxurious and Convenient Design:
The grand and luxurious look of this clawfoot bathtub is because of its glossy white finish both inside and outside. The overall luxurious look of a clawfoot is further trimmed with chrome trim on its foot.
The acrylic material used in its construction increases its lifespan as a product and also works as a temperature moderator. It retains the warmth of the water for quite a long time and doesn’t require any temperature moderator tool to regulate the heat of the water.
- Durable design
- Glossy finish
- Takes care of water spills by an overflow hole
- Water capacity of 39.63 gallons.
- Adjustable foot length
- cUPC certification
- It can’t accommodate individuals taller than 5.7’’.
- Not suitable for plain bathrooms.
- Superior Quality Construction:
Woodbridge’s freestanding bathtub uses a pure Lucite acrylic which is strengthened by Ashland resin and fiberglass to maximize its durability. This mix ensures that the product lasts for a considerable period before succumbing to any harsh exposure.
Its durability is further enhanced by the double-walled insulation that is also reinforced by fiberglass and plays a vital role in moderating the temperature of the water inside the bathtub.
This feature ensures that keeping your bathtub in a pristine condition is easy as the surface of the tub is not only anti-scratch but also stain-resistant. Moreover, it offers convenient installation for its odorless and anti-leak design.
- CSA certifications
- Canada & USA UPC certifications
- 5-year warranty for its functional body
- 1-year warranty on repairing & replacing plumbing parts
- High insulation
- Impressive drain system
- Not suitable for luxury bathrooms
- Comparatively small size
- High-Quality Construction:
Empava bathtub’s design is made from premium quality construction material, that is reinforced acrylic. Its surface can withstand drags and pressure without causing any dents and scratches on its surface.
Empava’s efficient depth can hold at least 58 gallons of water with convenient overflow drain and pipe fittings.
- User-friendly Design:
Empava freestanding bathtub is an all-in-one interior fix for all types of bathrooms. It compliments every décor and interior outlook that it faces without pushing you to make any significant changes to your bathroom while refurbishing.
Its ergonomic design is comfortable and lightweight that facilitates its portability and easy installation.
- 5-year warranty from its US manufacturer
- Offers versatility
- Durable nature because of acrylic construction
- Overflow protection
- Efficient drain system
- Comfortable soaking depth
- Easily rusts
- Drain leakages reported
- Difficult to find compatible drainpipes
- Exceptional Construction:
This bathtub belongs to MYKKE’s Barnet series and uses the same constriction material which is famous for its durability, that is, acrylic. This material is further reinforced to lengthen its lifespan as a functional bathtub.
The overall feel of the bathtub is sleek and glossy that makes it look clean and attractive even in a poorly designed bathroom.
- Efficient Drain:
Apart from the construction, the one thing that is vital for the efficient operation of a bathtub is its drain system. It has a brass drain that can be popped open to drain the used water. The flexible waste hose also makes efficient draining a possibility.
- Durable design
- Temperature moderator
- Foot adjustability
- Easy installation
- Pop up drain
- 1-year warranty
- cUPC certifications
- Finishing peels off easily
- Possible drain leakage
- Mismatched supply of installation parts
- Comfortable & Luxurious Style:
AKDY is another manufacturer that prefers using a reinforced acrylic material in its products. The material is anti-resistant and anti-sliding which can last longer than other bathtubs. It is compatible enough to go with most bathroom decors. Its double-walled exterior is perfect for insulation.
It is easy to install, and the fittings that you might need to install efficiently are included in its package and will come with your purchase. Its adjustable footing makes sure that your bathtub is stabilized on any uneven or smooth surface.
- Efficient Drain System:
It has an efficient drainage system that is compatible with most drainpipes and faucets, and if not, the extra fittings that come with it can get the job done.
- 1-year limited warranty (conditions apply)
- Double-walled construction offers better insulation
- Temperature Moderation
- High capacity of 79 gallons
- Overflow drain
- Faulty drainpipe
- Delayed delivery
- Sleek & Clean Design:
American Standard has made their bathtubs from an acrylic reinforced material with an impressive depth carved in. This means that you can relax wholly soaked inside after a long tiring day without fearing any water spills.
- Convenience & Flexibility:
It has a powerful drain system that can drain a substantial amount of water in one go without seeping and clogging. Ease of installation and spacious accessory storage are a few more things that made it desirable for most customers.
- Built-in storage deck
- Lifetime warranty (conditions apply)
- Fully immersed soaking depth
- Durable construction
- Not suitable for tall people
- Not suitable for babies and old people
Explore the Possibilities
Bathtubs have been around for years, but the 21st century saw drastic changes in their designs and aesthetics. New tech made it possible to merge innovation and creativity to create something spectacular, both in functionality and beauty.
A conventional bathtub might be your go-to option, but when you roam around the retail market or search online, you’ll be exposed to a whole new world of possibilities. There are endless ideas available online that tell you how to style your bathrooms uniquely while experimenting with the traditional bathing tubs.
We have shared some of those possibilities that we’ve explored for you below:
Shower Tub Combo:
These are getting quite popular lately because of the convenience they offer in terms of space. The showerhead is fixed on the wall beside the tub, and the water falls directly in the tub. This means you can shower while standing inside a bathtub or you can use the shower head to fill the tub and relax in it.
A slip-free finish is necessary to be used in the tub of this combo’s bathtub; otherwise, you can get a severe injury. Furthermore, the kind of accessories you use for this combo also decide whether the setting is safe and efficient for you or not.
These are also in trend because of their traditional Korean sauna style with the latest improvements added in inspired by new trends. Your bathroom’s floor is raised slightly, and the whole bathtub is built inside it like a sunken mold.
Such setting creates less mess on your bathroom’s floor, and there is no risk of water flowing over the tub’s sides. Sunken bathtubs are a vital addition to most modern households in Asia because of its roots going back to their ancient traditions.
Some Trending Accessories
Apart from the main attraction that is the bathtub itself, there are some accessories that can elevate the simple interior of your bathrooms. Buy a few of these accessories and include them in the interior of your bathrooms to create any aesthetic of your choice.
Some of these trending accessories are recommended below:
Creating a mess around the bathtub installed in your bathroom is a normal thing. A splash of water here and there while looking for shampoo or body soap is enough to create a puddle around your bathtub which can seep into other areas of the bathroom.
To avoid such inconvenience, you can install a tub surround anywhere near your bathtub. It doesn’t matter if you have soap in your eyes or you are in a hurry, you will be able to find your way around the tub safely because of these surrounds.
The tub surround aesthetics available online are varied and leave room for experimentation. Checkered tiles, porcelain, wood, and a few other materials are commonly used to fashion these surrounds.
Challenge your creativity and custom design a tub surround for your bathroom. You can also include a corner or a sunken shelf in your design where you can keep your toiletries and other necessary items for easy access.
Most bathtubs offer insulation because of there double-walled construction. It guarantees to retain the heat of the water-filled in it by providing enhanced insulation.
But not all bathtubs are constructed as such, some tubs made from cast iron, wood or stone are not designed as per the constructional norm followed by most manufacturers.
By including a temperature moderator in its design, you can control the heat retained by the water-filled in any tub. You can also increase and decrease its temperature as per your preference.
Buying Guidelines for Bathtubs
It might seem a trivial task, but choosing the right bathtub or shower tub for your bathroom isn’t that easy. Apart from being functional and stylish, it must compliment your bathroom’s interior as well.
You might have read through the basics of bathtub hunting that involves reading product descriptions and customer reviews online, but searching for the right bathtub is more than just that.
It should go beyond your preferences and expectations and should be more focused on what suites your bathroom. Your comfort should also be a priority while picking a bathtub or shower tub; otherwise, you’ll be spending money that looks good but doesn’t go with the relaxing routine you had planned for yourself.
There are several things to account for while pursuing this chase, which is why we’ve shouldered this responsibility by compiling this buying guide. It will teach you what to prioritize and what to pass on while buying a bathtub or shower tub for your bathroom.
Let’s dig right in.
Things to Consider
1. Choose the Right Material:
There are at most eight types of materials that are used to fashion a bathtub, namely fiberglass, acrylic, cast iron, stone, wood, marble, ceramic tiles, and steel. Each of them differs from one another in terms of the level of comfort and aesthetics they offer for their users.
We have briefly detailed as to what choosing each one of these materials will entail for you and your bathroom below:
The Old School yet Efficient Materials
- Steel: Bathtubs made of steel are affordable and can retain their shine against most chemicals and can last for a long time. The downside is there aren’t many varieties available in its design, and it is also denser than other conventional materials like fiberglass & acrylic.
- Acrylic: This material is the best overall as it offers a variety in bathtub designs and colors and can last for a considerable period. It’s neither too cheap nor too expensive, and the one inconvenience it had regarding its furnishing has been improved on recently.
- Cast Iron: Bathtubs made from cast iron are built to last and can withstand most hard impacts and unfriendly chemical exposure. But because of the nature of this material, you’ll need to reinforce the flooring in your bathroom because of its heavyweight.
- Fiberglass: If you are restricted by your budget, then fiberglass is here to save the day. Apart from being exceptionally affordable, it is convenient to install because of its lightweight and portability. But bathtubs made from fiberglass are not built to last for years and its finishing chips away with time. Furthermore, you won’t get the grounded and stable feeling that is desired by many while relaxing in a bathtub.
Some Newer & Better Additions
- Wood: These bathtubs can be custom-made into a size and shape of your preference. The most desired wood types for this purpose are teak and bamboo, though the latter is used to fashion a traditional Japanese bathtub. The pricing of such bathtubs is steep, and it asks much from the user to retain it its original beauty.
- Stone: It doesn’t take a genius to know why bathtubs made from stone are the heaviest. The reinforcement of flooring you might have to do for cast iron is nothing compared to the effort you need to put in while using a stone bathtub. One can use several types of stones, from basalt to onyx to granite and sandstone etc. But you will need a substantial budget to afford such bathtubs.
- Marble: Bathtubs made from marble come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors and use better Gelcoat than what is used for fiberglass.
- Ceramic Tiles: The variety of designs offered for this material are endless. Just decide on how you want your bathtub to look like and some manufacturers can fashion it as per your preferences. The convenience offered by this bathtub can’t make up for the discomfort it causes for your back.
The above-mentioned brief account on the potential choices of bathtub material can guide you in deciding what works best for you.
2. Pay Attention to Measurements:
You might come across several unique and exciting bathtub designs but don’t make an impulsive purchasing decision. Measurements of your bathtub are the crucial factor to be considered, and you need to be practical about it.
The primary purpose of a bathtub is relaxing and soaking yourself in warm water to ease out the tension knots in your body. That is why it isn’t wise to buy a tub that can’t accommodate your body.
- Length: The bathtub should be of enough range to let you stretch your limbs comfortably. So, a tub longer than your height by a few inches is an ideal purchase.
- Width: It shouldn’t be too wide nor too narrow but should have enough space to let you turn on your side while bathing.
- Depth: The ideal depth recommended for a bathtub is its ability to soak in your body fully. It should be your choice to stay afloat in the tub up to your shoulders or neck.
Test it Before You Buy it!
You don’t need to worry about how to check the measurement requirements while buying a bathtub. You can test the tub by lying down in it to get a better understanding of its size.
But of course, when you are buying online, you can’t carry out such physical tests, which is why it’s important to take note of the size specifications mentioned in the product description. Being aware of your height and the length of the bathtub, your intent to purchase can give you an idea as to what works and what doesn’t.
3. Consider its Weight:
We’ve hinted that the weight of your bathtub can cause you complications by being too light or too heavy while discussing the materials used in a bathtub’s construction. More details are as follows:
- Heavy Weight: If your tub is heavy, it means you must do more than change the bathtub installed in your bathroom. Your bathroom’s flooring might crack under the weight of the tub. It is recommended to reinforce your bathroom’s flooring while installing bathtubs made from cast iron or stone. The more reinforced your flooring, the less maintenance it needs to stay in its prime condition.
- Light Weight: You might think that buying a lightweight bathtub is ideal as it doesn’t require you to make changes to your bathroom’s architecture, but that’s not the case. A lightweight bathtub is portable to some extent, but it doesn’t have that substantial feeling that stabilizes your body when you bath.
The Optimal Weight
The key is to find a bathtub that is neither too heavy nor too light. There should be a balance and the recommended material that might offer this balance is acrylic bathtubs.
Note that the amount of water a bathtub can hold also adds to its overall weight and later to the pressure exerted on your bathroom’s flooring. While checking a bathtub’s weight, you should leave a margin for at least 8 to 10 pounds to account for the 1 to 2 gallons of water that you will add in the tub while using it.
4. User Preference Matters:
Bathtubs don’t come in sizes that can accommodate everyone as the size test we’ve mentioned earlier cannot account for everyone’s needs. An individual living alone might have different needs than a new couple or an aged individual.
We’ve made some recommendations, based on different user preferences:
- For the young and single: The bathtub test is the best on deciding what to buy for a single person. There are not many size variables to account for as only one person will be using it.
- For couples: While buying a bathtub for two persons, consider purchasing a size that can accommodate both lying side by side. This bathtub size will be huge and isn’t suitable for small bathrooms.
- For babies: We’ve recommended the soaking depth for your bathtubs earlier, but when it comes to toddlers, a shallow tub is ideal. One can never be too sure about the safety of their babies while bathing them; hence, the almost flat depth of bathtubs for babies is favorable.
- For aged people: It isn’t easy to accommodate the older people as they are prone to slipping on tiled or porcelain surfaces. That is why walk-in closet type of bathtubs and surfaces that are slip-resistant are best suited for them.
5. Shape & Space Restrictions:
The shape of the bathtub sets the overall tone of your bathroom’s aesthetics. The markets are filled with tubs that come in all kinds of shapes from oval to circular to square to cylindrical and rectangular etc.
The latest tech and exciting trends have presented the manufacturers with endless possibilities when it comes to introducing new designs and shapes. Take advantage of these new varieties and buy the shape that compliments your body and the aesthetics of your bathroom.
We have emphasized the size and shape of your bathtub, but apart from the user’s body, you need to pay mind to the size of your bathroom as well. Installing a tub for couples in a compact bathroom will mess with the overall look of your house.
In conclusion, don’t just pay attention to the measurement of the bathtub but take note of how much space you have at your disposal to fit in the said bathtub.
6. Don’t Compromise on Warranty:
A bathtub is a long-term investment as you get to buy it only after five to ten years. Most manufacturers don’t offer a warranty for that long and the one they provide expires in three to five years.
Such uncertainties regarding the warranty period should be accounted for while purchasing a bathtub. You need to be aware of what damages your warranty is covering and for how long. A well-informed customer should have no room for negotiation in terms of warranty extension and services.
You can never be too sure about your rights, which is why throwing the dice for negotiation everywhere is worth it.
7. Pricing & Budgeting:
The material of construction, size, and shape affect the pricing of the bathtub. For instance, fiberglass bathtubs are cheaper than other materials used to make bathtubs, whereas wood, stone, and cast iron are a few of the most expensive bathtub materials.
The minimum budget for an efficient and functional bathtub should begin around $800-$900. The maximum budgeting limit can go as far as $5000 to $6000, and even beyond that if you are willing to spend big bucks on to ensure your comfort.
Things to Avoid
1. Being Brand Conscious:
You might have heard about a brand that sells well or is positively viewed by the masses. But not all brands sell what you are looking for in a tub, which means you must look for your desired bathtub elsewhere and abandon the brand you were recommended altogether.
The key is to show flexibility and understand that you can get a better deal or design sold by a different or unknown brand. There is a credibility factor that you should look out for but other than that if it looks good and is loved by many then why fixate on the brand’s name.
2. Being Content in Your Comfort Zone:
If you want to try something new and out of the box, then you must step out of your comfort zone. You can never be too content and replace your previous bathtub with a better version of the same model.
You can refurbish your bathroom by just buying a bathtub and a few other accessories, which means no need to spend thousands on its remodeling. Just spend wisely and you are bound to bag a lucrative deal.
3. Copying What Others Bought:
You colleague has installed a new bathtub in their house after welcoming a baby girl in their family, and can’t stop raving about it. You might trust them enough to take their word for the bathtub’s efficient functionality and are ready to buy it for your bachelor pad as well.
If you observe this situation as per the guidelines, we’ve given you so far then you’ll understand how bad this can be for you. What a parent of a newborn is buying can never equate to the needs of a grown single man.
Know your requirements and preferences and shop accordingly and never copy others.
There are several things that you need to account for while purchasing a bathtub. These variables differ as per the changing trends of the market and user preferences. It is impossible to make an efficient purchase by buying a product blindly without judging its specifications according to its recommended buying guidelines.
The buying guideline we’ve compiled for you might look intimidating, but if followed strictly, it can help you purchase a stylish and functional bathtub. A right tub is the one whose attractive and elegant design doesn’t interfere with its efficiency and operation.
The list we’ve compiled for you includes bathtubs that are famous for not only their aesthetic looks but also for their effective operation. For instance, MYKKE model from Gibson is shaped in a unique design, but that doesn’t hinder its functionality as an efficient bathtub one bit.
Moreover, its unique design makes it an ideal addition for a luxury bathroom that prioritizes product efficiency, along with maintaining its sleek look.
On the other hand, designs like American Standard and MYKKE Barnet freestanding bathtub focus more on the practical side of things. They offer versatility and can fit right in most bathrooms without demanding any remodeling of the interior.
Now it is up to you to decide whether you want a luxurious bathtub or a highly functional bathtub to install in your bathroom.